English Specific Blogs for High School and Middle School Teachers
1. The Language Arts Classroom- by Lauralee! Lauralee loves grammar, coffee, and test prep among other things. She discusses all as well as reflects on educational practices. I love Lauralee's weekly link up on Sundays because you can find lots of great secondary products!
2. Real Learning Room 213- by Jackie from Prince Edward Island, Canada! Jackie does a great job of discussing what works in her classroom. She also shares free printable activities that she has created and or explains thoroughly how to use her Teachers Pay Teachers products in a meaningful
way in the classroom.
3. Faulkner's Fast Five- by Julie Faulkner! Julie's blog follows the same format for each entry: that is she tells you five things about the topic at hand! I love it. There is a wide variety of topics covered on her blog from different teaching topics and strategies to aspects of her personal life and even some teacher fashion! Be sure to stop by and check it out!
4. Secondary Sara- by Sara! Sara has great tips on lots of teaching strategies and topics for English. She does such a great job of reflecting and providing useful actionable tips to teachers who are in the trenches!
5. Stacey Lloyd Teaching- by Stacey! Stacey teaches in South Africa, if I recall correctly. Her blog is filled with reflective pieces about teaching, tips about teaching certain topics, and guests posts from all sorts of people. This blog is a great addition to your reading list.
6. Raising Rigor and Readers - According to Tanesha, "This blog features posts about teaching reading and writing to secondary learners (grades 6-8). Additionally, there are posts on promoting equity in classrooms." This is a great and engaging blog!
7. Ms. Spangler in the Middle- Ms. Spangler is currently teaching 8th grade ELA but her blog may evolve in future years as she is licensed as a special ed teacher and can be asked to teach any number of things! I love the diversity of her knowledge
8. Brain Waves Instruction- According to the brilliant brain behind "Brain Waves Instruction:" "The Brain Waves Instruction blog is a place where teachers can find fun ways to activate the brain waves in their classrooms. It's filled with classroom management ideas, instructional tips and tricks, and links to resources to help busy teachers." I love that she incorporates guest posts, tips for teacher authors, and lots of great ideas for your classroom. There are also high school resources but the majority of products are appropriate for middle school!
Cross-Curricular Focused Blogs for All Teachers
9. What's New With Leah- by Leah Cleary! Leah teaches both history and English so she has a great blog that deals with both. I'm a huge fan of cross-curricular opportunities so her blog really resonates with me. She typically posts once a week on Mondays but sometimes you get lucky and see more frequent posts from her! I love that many of her tips can work in any classroom!
Non English Focused Blogs that Still have Great Advice for all Teachers
10. Managing and Motivating Math Minds- by Kacie Travis! Kacie teaches high school math but has taught middle school math in the past. I was surprised to see how much I liked her blog, because MATH. However, she has posts about interactive notebooks, teacher evaluations and more that are relevant to teachers of any subject! I really recommend you check it out even if the thought of math makes you shudder!
Who am I missing? Let me know in the comments what great blogs you read!
Thanks for reading!